Sunday, October 14, 2018


Hidden Figures
      Throughout Hidden Figures, we see the lives of three African American women doing the same job as other white men and women, while being discriminated against for their color. These women are mathematicians trying to make a successful Apollo launch, and through all the discrimination they receive, they still put forward their best work and become one of the most respected women in the space program. 
      I would highly recommend this film to everyone; it was an absolute favorite for me. It is very educational and powerful. I love to see people give forth their best efforts when the world is against them. It is truly inspiring to see other people go through the worst conditions and still pull through and change other people’s hearts and views on discrimination just by being themselves and proving they aren’t what they are made to be. 
      I come from a third world country, particularly one that didn’t show much racism. For me, movies such as The Hidden Figures, it gives me a realization. I have never seen how people used to treat each other here in the United States. Yes, in Latin countries we did had some sort of racism and slavery (Spanish vs Indians), but that was centuries ago. Still, nothing compared to how it was portrayed here in the Unites States. Another issue that strikes me from this movie is the way whites and blacks were working for the same cause and were still payed less, forced to use different bathrooms, water fountains, all down to different coffee pots. We were all working together for the same cause: beating Russia to the moon, and yet we were fighting an internal battle between our own territory. This movie helped me realize that we are all on the same side, no matter beliefs or point of views. It helped me learn how to get along with people better and to understand that there is more to a person than just color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment